I love attending decorative painting conventions, so I was excited when I learned the Ocean Painting Society would be holding its first convention right here in Vista Beach. I even put together the convention website so I got the scoop on everything early on. Unfortunately, things didn’t turn out exactly as I expected. I was enjoying myself, shopping and working on the trade show floor and taking painting classes when my friend collapsed in class and, well, there’s no sugarcoating it—she died. The police looked into it, of course, but didn’t find any evidence of foul play so they closed the case. That didn’t seem right to me so I started my own investigation.
- What made you decide to take on such a risky endeavor?
I couldn’t let the murderer get away with it! She was my friend. Someone had to stick up for her.
- Did you ever imagine yourself being involved in fighting crime?
No, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to have anything to do with murder and now I’ve been involved in two investigations!
- Who would you say is the least pleased about your additional career choice of amateur sleuthing? Or is detective work your only career?
That would have to be Detective Green of the Vista Beach police department. He’s not thrilled when civilians get involved in police matters. I think he’s afraid I’ll get hurt. No, detective work isn’t my normal career. I’m a freelance computer programmer. I write apps, put together websites, that sort of thing.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
My willingness to drop everything and help out friends and family. I’m persistent and a good problem solver. But, sometimes I’m too concerned about what others think of me.
- Describe what being a self-rescue princess means to you.
A strong, confident woman tries to solve her own problems. At the same time, she knows she can’t always do everything by herself so she knows when it’s time to ask for help.
- What one advice/wisdom would you like to pass onto young women?
Don’t let anyone discourage you from pursuing your dreams. Persistence pays off.
- What was one lesson you learned during this challenging time in your life?
Never take friends for granted. You never know when they’ll no longer be there.
- If your story or life had a theme song, what would it be?
The Gloria Gaynor song, “I Will Survive.” Not that long ago, I learned my birth parents were serial arsonists who were responsible for numerous fires and a few deaths here in Vista Beach. That threw me for a loop, believe me. I didn’t know anything about this until I moved to Vista Beach with my parents almost two years ago now. Then there was that dead body in my garden…
- Do you plan on dabbling in amateur sleuthing in the future, or have you hung up your detective hat?
I hope I never see another dead body in my life! But I have this uneasy feeling that there’s another one in my future.